Store bought depilatory creams are full of chemicals and can be quite harsh on the skin especially if your skin is sensitive and prone to irritation but did you know that you can make your own homemade depilatory creams using all natural ingredients which are kind to the skin, many of which you’ll probably already have at home. We tried and tested some of the most popular home remedies for hair removal out there so that we could share the easiest and most effective homemade hair removers with you.
Another all natural method of hair removal is sugaring. This can be done by yourself at home and the sugaring paste is also something you can easily make using common household ingredients. For more information check out our Homemade Sugaring Paste Recipe.
Homemade Hair Removal Cream Recipe 1: Egg Mask
This egg mask recipe is great for removing hair from all areas of the body and is gentle enough to use on the face.
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp granulated or caster sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- Mix together all the ingredients in a bowl until it forms a smooth paste.
- Apply the egg paste to the area of skin that you wish to remove hair from.
- Once the paste has completely dried, peel it off quickly in one swipe and the hair should come off with it.
Homemade Hair Removal Cream Recipe 2: Potato Juice & Yellow Lentils
This is a an old Ayuvedic method of hair removal that uses potato juice and yellow lentils. Although more complex to make compared to the egg mask method above, it is an alternative and effective way of removing hair from both the body and face.
- 1 large potato
- 2 cups yellow lentils
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- Soak the yellow lentils in water overnight until soft.
- After soaking the lentils, drain out the water and mash them using a fork or you can blend them in a food processor until it forms a smooth paste.
- Peel the potato, cut it roughly into chunks and crush them. Place the pieces of potato in a cloth and squeeze out as much potato juice as you can into the bowl containing the lentil paste. Alternatively you could use a juicer to juice the potato.
- Add the lemon juice and honey to the paste and mix all the ingredients well.
- Apply the paste to the area of skin that you wish to remove hair from.
- Wait for the paste to dry completely and then remove it by rubbing the dried paste with your fingertips which will also take the hairs with it.
We hope that you’ve found these homemade hair removal cream recipes easy to use and effective. Please leave a comment below to let us know which method worked best for you or if you’d like to share your own home remedies for hair removal.